Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Young Marrieds Retreat '06!! - 9/24/06


"A place for everything and everything in its place" must be a mantra of Mennonite living. They have a club, group, or association for every aspect of life here in Blue Creek. Since Nathan and I have been married for 10 yrs. or less, we qualify to be a part of the "Young Marrieds" group. This weekend the Young Marrieds retreated to the Cahal Pech Ruins in San Ignacio, Belize and Nathan and I went along!


The weekend was great, wonderful speaker with excellent material from the book Love and Respect, a book I have just finished reading and I highly recommend! But we didn't just sit around in an air conditioned room with a great view the entire weekend. We had a lot of free time which we spent bonding with other couples during volleyball and croquet matches (yes dad, I have now played croquet in the Caribbean!), canoeing the Maya River, which passes directly by the ancient ruin of Cahal Pech, lounging by the pool and exploring the open air market of San Ignacio! Central America is sooo COOL!!

Friday was a holiday, so we headed to San Ignacio at 10:00 a.m., right after I finished tutoring my little 1st grader (I tutor two students for "extra" money and to keep me from being bored during the day). We arrived at our resort 3 hours later and one of the leaders passed a blank sheet of paper around which contained all the rules for the weekend. Get it? A blank sheet of paper? There were no rules!! Oh yeah, Mennonite couples getting crazy in Cahal Pech!! It was also announced that breakfast would be served the following morning at
7 a.m.

Cut to 7 a.m. Saturday morning, we shared a suite with Rosy and Cuatro (see my birthday celebration for their pictures) and as I was emerging from my bedroom, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, there they were, fully dressed and showered, ready to start the day. Nathan and I went down to breakfast without having showered or brushed our teeth- in fact, I was still in my pajamas. Everyone else was bright-eyed
and scrubbed clean! Most of the group headed out to golf immediately after breakfast and since Nathan and I were not ready to face the public, we were not able to join them. Instead we opted to shower, hang by the pool, and go on a canoe tour of the Maya River and it's "rapids."

What a beautiful ride!

We saw iguanas the size of beagles (that's a big ol' boy there, on the left), beautiful tropical birds, HUGE termite nests (at least they were in the jungle, where they belong) dozens of fruit bats flying by our canoe, and Jesus Christ lizards ran across the water alongside us. I always thought they were small, which helped them run across the water, but we saw one that was about 7 inches tall, pretty big for a lizard that can walk on water! We had a wonderful time and got some great sun! You can see Nathan there on the right with his pearly white skin just ready to soak up the its rays! He burned, of course, but I walked away a few shades darker. We could not have asked for a more pleasant outing and our guide, Clifton, was soo friendly! After the canoe trip, he even dropped us off at a HUGE market before taking us back to the resort.

Oh the markets here, I must take a minute to talk about them! I LOVE THEM!! So many people, speaking any number of languages, selling their colorful produce, hot food, second hand clothing, jams, pickled EVERYTHING, canned fruit, pirated DVDs and CDs, and so much more. There is always someone preaching. At this particular market it was a woman, speaking Spanish into a microphone connected to large speakers which broadcasted her every word. I did not catch her message but I heard over and over, "para la gloria de Dios" for the glory of God.

At the market, I bought a bunch of apple bananas, which is my new favorite fruit. That's right, I used "bananas" and "favorite" in the same sentence! But these aren't your ordinary no flavor, squishy, blech bananas. These are a lot firmer and smaller and they have the tart taste of a really crisp apple! I can eat them raw but I also made amazing apple banana bread out of them! Here is a bunch that I saw in the market, I bought some of them, but I snapped this picture first.

It was a wonderful weekend, we had a great time seeing more of the countryside and making new friends. Hopefully, this was the first of many weekend getaways for us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure the retreat was much needed for you two, I am so glad. My Nathan is busy busy busy as usual. It's tough. I was the one who sent the shower curtain!!! He he he---I love surprises! Our group is making it's way through Love and Respect, slowly but surely as usual. I went to a CLC woman's bible study for the first time---awesome. I should probably just write you an email, but this is more fun ;). Love you both so much!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys!
We've been thinking about you and it sounds like you are doing well!
We miss you though :) Glad you got to go on the retreat - we think Love and Respect is a great book and recommend it highly as well - even for older marriages!

I found a cruise that stops in Belize and told Rand we needed to go on it just to see you guys!! You never know - we might just show up for a day :) I love your blog - keep it up. How's the espresso bar coming along? God is using both of you more than you know in the simple acts of loving, accepting, hanging out with and drinking coffee kinds of ways besides all the "real teaching" stuff. We are so proud of you and want you to be encouraged even when it's tough or you get a little homesick. God is faithful!!
Blessings, prayers and all our love,
Nyla and Rand

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys are having a wonderful time over there! Melissa your pictures are so beautiful your convincing me to come visit!