Friday, September 08, 2006

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US- 9/8/06

So, are you guys gonna have another birthday next week too?”

This was a question asked by Cuatro, one of our guests at Nathan’s birthday dinner on Monday, the 28th. He was referring to the fact that both Nathan and I have now celebrated our birthdays since our arrival here. Apparently, the fact that they are only 10 days apart has people suspicious that perhaps we are just starving for attention!

We celebrated my birthday on the 18th. Nathan woke me up to say “Happy Birthday” before he left for work. I went back to sleep immediately, of course, since it was 7 a.m. and I had no where to be that early! When I finally rolled out of bed at about 11 am, I went into the kitchen and saw that my neighbors, Liz and Maria, had baked me blueberry muffins and brought in a white board that said, “Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday Dear Melissa, Happy Birthday to you!” That made me smile, what a kind gesture from girls I had known just over 2 weeks!

During the afternoon Liz and I went to check our e-mail at Abe’s house and his parents invited me for faspa, afternoon coffee. When we got back to my place, Nathan had baked a birthday cake and had a bouquet of tropical flowers waiting!!

For dinner, our neighbors went with us to Three Flags where a group a people was waiting to celebrate with us! I had no idea it was going to be a dinner party!! The pastor and his wife, Darryl & Corrina (pictured to the left), where there with their children, Natasha, Kenton, Shaina, and Jessie. Our old friend Abe (he's the blue-eyed gentleman in the picture sipping the iced tea and he is single and ownes his own planes ladies!) was there, as were his sister and brother-in-law, Lisa & Poncho, along with their two daughters Rhonda and Michelle. Rosie & Cuatro, another couple who have been married just over a year, also came to celebrate. (They are the beautifully tanned couple on the left) Rosie teaches 6th grade and she and Nathan pray together every morning for the Middle School students. Two teachers from the UK- Rhoda & Daniel, joined us later. What a blessing to be surrounded by new friends so soon after our arrival. The picture to the right, is Rhonda- Poncho & Lisa's oldest daughter- and Jessie- Darryl & Corrina's youngest daughter- What pretty girls!

After feasting on salbutes and iced tea, it was back to our place for cake and ice cream! Most of those at dinner joined us and our apartment was full, full, FULL! We followed dessert with a little Texas Hold ‘Em—yes even the good people of Blue Creek joined in and learned how to throw those chips into the pot! (No daddy, I didn't win, Abe did actually. But that's good, cuz now he's hooked and will be coming back for more!)

This was a wonderful day, I will let Nathan tell you about his himself…

No comments: