Thursday, August 03, 2006

Guess What? God is in Belize too! - 8/3/06



Do not store up trea-sures here on earth, where they can be eaten by moths and get rust and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where they will never become moth-eaten or rusty and where they will be safer from thieves. Matthew 6:19(NLT)

I think of this verse when I survey the land surrounding our town. The land appears to be fairly flat with small hills scattered about the countryside. There are a number of archeological digs in the area which uncover, study, and preserve the ruins and artifacts of a once great and powerful Mayan civilization.

When you realize the number of ruins located all over in the area, you begin to look at the landscape in a new light. It seems obvious that the hills so many have built their homes on are ancient temples, oratories and other building used and built by the Mayans. However, they are now nearly unrecognizable, having been covered by hundreds of years of weather, soil, grass, tress and bushes. What were once great buildings, places of teaching, worship, and markets are now foundation for new housing, restaurants, and markets of a more modern people. These ancient cities are also pastures and grazing land for horses, sheep, cows, and Brahma bulls.

The cities once treasured by their inhabitants have become rubble. How humbling this thought is as I mourn the loss of my T.V, sofa, microwave and cell phone- not to mention access to friends and family. Every time I look out a window or scan the skyline in this beautiful country, I am reminded how temporary “things” are. What we hold dearly one day may be outdated or insignificant to someone else the next day.

The only constant in my life is God. He is the same day to day, year to year, lifetime to lifetime. I do not need e-mail to stay connected to Him. I do not need to send Him pictures for him to gain some perspective of our life here. He is here with us each day and for each new experience! I do not need to wait for my cell phone to be unlocked and brought back from Orange Walk Town before I am able to speak with God. He is available to listen to my worship, concerns, fears, doubts and praise. It is so sad that I often ignore or take for granted the most powerful, accessible, and most highly treasured Being in the universe!

Perhaps this time without distraction is a “spiritual boot camp” for Nathan and me; in order for us to take our eyes off of the temporary things of this life and concentrate on the eternal.

The Lord is like a father to his chil-dren, tender and com-pass-ionate to those who fear him. For he under-stands how weak we are; he knows we are only dust. Our days on earth are like grass; like wildflowers, we bloom and die. The wind blows and we are gone—as though we had never been here. But the love of the Lord remains forever with those who fear him. His salvation extends to the children’s children of those who are faithful to his covenant, of those who obey his commandments!...Praise the Lord, everything he has created, everywhere in his kingdom. As for me—I, too, will praise the Lord! ~Psalm 104:13-18&22 (NLT)

No comments: