Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Bein' Belizean - 8/1/06

We're here! We're Here!

Wow...we're here...

Here are some reality checks recently cashed:
  • Normal outdoor humidity and showers differ only in the amount of soap at hand
  • Gasoline is the only commodity priced in US dollars because double digits don't fit on the screen (it is $5.26/gallon, we are charged $11.00/gallon Bz)
  • Reptiles in the home are a good thing
  • Carpets = mold, all floors are tiled
  • We are living atop the ruins of an ancient, advanced culture.
As we were flying into Blue Creek, we cruised over the Mayan temple of Lamanai. This is a popular tourist attraction because of the size of the main temple, but the Mayan ruins are scattered all around us. Our friend/guide told us that whenever they clear out the jungle to make room for more houses or farmland, they just bulldoze through. Always, always they find evidence of Mayan culture and there are two archaeological digs here. You can look at the strange shapes of the terrain and make out the angled edges of what could very likely be Mayan buildings beneath the jungle growth. Such a fascinating place!



The people are SO friendly and acommodating. We set up our bank account today at the Credit Union and did some shopping at the local market. We were invited into the home of one of my students for dinner yesterday, and again tonight at the home of another student. Our friend Abe has made a point to introduce me to every 8th grader's parent that we come across in the community - either at the restaurant or the store or stopping by their house to say hello. I've never seen so many blue eyes and blond hair in one community! We are in central america, right?

So far the only real regret/problem I have is the music. I left my Sirius receiver at home, and when I arrived I saw that EVERYBODY HAS SIRIUS!!!! I could have still kept it! I am kicking myself I'm so upset. So, I might have to order a new radio and have it sent here, because now that I know we can get it it will be hard living without that connection to the latest music, sports, comedy (insert Sirius commercial here).

Our biggest accomplishment today is collecting our truck. It's a fancy-mobile! We expected a beat-up cattle truck or something with rust holes large enough for a jaguar to crawl through. Instead, we have a newer red chevy pickup that drives pretty well and gives us independence and the ability to go out and explore! Yes!

While we were at the office of the farmer who's renting the truck to us, I noticed a quote they had printed off and taped to the wall:
When God ordains, He sustains
HOW TRUE THAT IS!




I know this is a God-ordained mission, and He has definitely provided for our needs in order to sustain us while we are here. It would be nice to have more pictures of our friends and family than we brought and small mementos like that, but every need has been met. We have been given food, invited into people's homes, given a job, a place of our own, FREE laundry (which I haven't had in 11 years), and the ability to carry out what He has called us to do.

To God be the glory!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa, You left me with all these awful teens and I can't deal with them without your awesome smile and fresh attitude each week. I am shocked about your new residence but am excited to see how God works down there through you and Nathan. Just to let you know you are loved and missed always. You're on my prayer list for sure. Keep in touch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Nathan and Melissa:

I can't believe how much you two have already accomplished and you've only been there 2 days! What are you ~ some kind of professional movers?!!!! You two are so blessed to have such a nice apt., truck, eggs any time you need them, and friends with airplanes! I hate it that you don't really need us, but happy that you are in very good hands!

Don't worry, we'll keep an eye on your "Wish List" and make sure you have the things you need ~ hair products are very important!!!! We'll also make sure you get some pictures to keep you up-to-date on things happening around here.

We miss you so much already and love you the same amount! We'll talk to you soon.

Love, Auntie Reda and Uncle Marv

Cupcake said...

I am excited for you both. It is good to know that you are meeting people and enjoying yourself.

love ya both.

Melissa, I hope you had good luck with your bathroom. I still need to attack my new one.

Anonymous said...

Hey--

I can't seem to send you guys anything because you don't have a postal code -- ebay does not work!

let me know what is up..

Sara

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the meaningful email before you left, Missy! Meant a lot to me. I look forward to keeping up with you guys on your website. Check out my website sometime to see how I'm making money on the side. Best software out there to keep one's computer spy, virus, worm free!
The landscape looks beautiful! I have a million Q's to ask but perhaps you'll answer them as time goes by.
Thinking of you today and praying that God will hold you in His almighty hand,
Lois