Tuesday, August 22, 2006

August Showers Bring.... 8/22/06


I am blogging this now, but I wrote it last night...

It is after 1 a.m. and I have been awakened by the sound of rain. I can hear thunder in the distance and see lightning flash, even through my closed eyelids. The smooth tile floor, which keeps its cool even in the heat of the day, gives me goose bumps as I walk across the room. I open the door to see for myself the rain, the thunder and the lightning, whose sounds have awakened me. For the first time since we arrived here, the air outside our air-conditioned bedroom is cool and comfortable on my skin.

Being from the Pacific Northwest- the land flowing with rain and lattes- you'd think a simple evening rain would be of no consequence to me. But these Caribbean thunder showers do not bring with them any rain I have ever seen. Here, clear skies cloud over suddenly, bringing strong winds, the crash of thunder and spears of lightning. A sheet of cool, clean rain quickly follows. Large puddles form in minutes, the limestone streets fill with water and the deep ditches along the road swell and rush. The showers never last long, usually no more than half an hour. As quickly as the storm arrives, it is gone again. The sun reappears and the heat returns. All but the deepest puddles quickly dry and the humidity hangs in the air.

Tonight the rain pours and pours. I have watched the lightning flash and brighten the darkened land- but only for a brief moment. For nearly an hour now I have looked out the window into the inky blackness of the night. I can hear the rain beating the ground and the drops "ting" against the metal rooftops. With each flash of lightning, I am reminded I am surrounded by thick green landscape made of jungle, hills, valleys, fields, and river. The ocean is too far to see from here, but I know it is there. We have come to a beautiful and mysterious country.

I am reminded of the words to a song
Holy Spirit rain down, rain down.
Oh Comforter and Friend, how we need your touch again.
Holy Spirit rain down, rain down.
Let Your power fall, let Your voice be heard
Come and change our hearts as we stand on Your Word.
Holy Spirit, rain down.
No eye has seen, so ear has heard
No mind can know what God has in store.
So open up heaven, open it wide.
Over our church and over our lives.
Holy Spirit, rain down.
I am enjoying the cool of this summer evening. But I am going back to bed now. The rain has slowed and the gentle patter will lull me to sleep as it waters the land and keep it growing lush and full and green.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

You should have been a writer. I think that comes from your grandpa Cliff. I felt like I was right there with you.

Love and prayers.....mom

Anonymous said...

This is Grandpa - just got you blogsite from your mother. The one you gave me didn't work. Hope all is well. We love you. Grandpa & Grandma. 8/23/06

Anonymous said...

I agree with your Mom you are a good writer. Nice to hear of your adventures.
Tami Barke