Monday, February 12, 2007

Back to Basics - 2/10/07


We have been back in Belize for nearly a month and life is back to normal. Internet access continues to be a problem, so Nathan and I have been avoiding it altogether. This is less stressful and disappointing for us, but less convenient and informative for you, our friends and loved ones—and the occasional stranger—who keeps track of our lives through this blog. So, here is a quick run-down of what we have been up to over the past month…..

We arrived back in Belize after "The Great Wedding of 2007," on January 15th and Nathan went back to work the next day. Nathan has begun his second and final semester as the 7th and 8th grade teacher at Linda Vista School. He has added two new subjects to the Junior High curriculum this semester- Spanish 1 and Public Speaking. The kids are really enjoying both, especially public speaking. They have given three speeches so far, including a demonstrative speech. Kids talked about various subjects, including how to wash dishes, how to make different kinds of food, and one kid even explained bull castration! Wow! Thanks for the info kids! Nathan is enjoying a bit of a lighter load this semester, with two other teachers stepping in to help him teach some of his classes. He still has more subjects than class periods, but his schedule is definitely more manageable and he spends much less of his Saturday playing catch up and planning the next week’s lessons.

My days have been much less exciting since our return to Belize as I am no longer at the school two periods a day. I am still in charge of detentions, and the kids have been keeping me busier than usual the past couple of weeks. I am also still tutoring students after school. Since I generally don’t have anything scheduled until 3 pm, I have been spending more time getting to know some of the women in the community. One woman in particular, Susy, a young mother of two vivacious girls, has been a lot of fun to get to know. We have played volleyball on occasion and are involved in 2 bible studies during the week. We also get together on Tuesday evenings with our husbands and 4 other people and eat a potluck dinner together.

Also, I am taking advantage of all of my spare time to continue to hone my cooking skills. I have become a master bread baker (without a bread machine!) and even got together with some women in the community and made tamales. I arrived at the house where the tamales were being prepared and was SHOCKED to find them sitting around shucking 200 ears of corn. I
stopped and stuttered, “Wha-? Corn! Corn? We’re making them from corn?” I don’t know why I was so surprised. I should have learned by now that everything is truly made from scratch here—even cornmeal is a shortcut! The ladies got a good laugh at my surprise and patiently walked me through each step of the tamale-creating process. It was a lot of fun, very educational and of course, delicious!

Oh yes, and the biggest football event of the year did not pass us by just because we are living in Central America, where futbol is much more popular than football. One of Nathan’s co-workers, John, had a Super Bowl party at his home and quite a few people turned out to watch. Everyone chose a team to root for, but it was very obvious that these were not die-hard football fans, much less Bears or Colt fans. Never-the-less everyone enjoyed themselves! We even had great Super Bowl food! Two ladies, our friend Hilda and the pastor's wife, Corrina, made Belizean
Style Hot Wingz!!They're cooked outside on a grill that looks very similar to a wok, called a "disco." They were soooo spicy and soooo good! None of the Belizean kids were interested in watching the game at all, I have no idea where they boys went, but here are the girls jumping and jumping and jumping on the trampoline. I joined in for a while—I just couldn’t resist!

So, that’s all for us! Nathan went on a great hike with a friend, Daniel, but I’ll let him tell you about that. For now, you are nearly caught up. We are currently spending a long weekend in Cancun and will write about it soon. For now I will leave you with this unbelievably beautiful picture of the breathtaking view from our hotel room.

iAdios!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look so pretty! Gosh I have a lot of catch up reading to do! Look forward to it!

Thanks for doing such a great job bloggin guys!

Anonymous said...

Hello, welcome back. I kept checking the blog all weekend thinking you would post something. Where did you stay in Cancun?
Love you guys...mom